Casa Mojanda, a mountainside inn and farm, is set in the Andean highlands near the bustling market town of Otavalo. The peace and tranquility provides the perfect base from which to explore both the farm and the beautiful surrounding countryside.
Casa Mojanda has a very authentic feel. Whilst it was built fairly recently, in the 1990s, traditional methods and materials were used giving it an authentic feel. Hand-moulded terracotta bricks, roof tiles made of native red clay, tiled floors and whitewashed walls result in a building reminiscent of times gone by. Each guest cottage has a private bathroom, some benefit from a fireplace to ward of any chills. Locally made furniture and artworks finish off the rooms with a homely feel. A private terrace with spectacular mountain views makes for the perfect spot to sit and reflect.
The main house also enjoys these delightful views and has a library, games room and video library. This is where you will find the dining room where home cooked meals are served family style, the menu offering home cooked Ecuadorian and international meals. Fresh, organic produce is used, sourced from the inn’s gardens. Outside in the grounds, where you can enjoy the stunning scenery, you will find a hot tub – a wonderful way to relax after a day exploring.
A range of activities is available, from short hikes in the local area to full day trips to Indian villages. Otavalo is just an hour’s hike from the inn, and there are also longer hikes to the Mojanda Lakes where kayaking can be arranged. Horse riding is a popular activity and mountain biking (please notify in advance) can be arranged, and you can take a guided tour of local villages.
Casa Mojanda Highlights
- A hacienda steeped in 17th century history
- Lakes, forests and mountain scenery
- The hacienda has its own stables
- Explore on foot or on horseback
- Attempt to summit Cotopaxi, the world’s highest volcano
- Experience delicious, quality local cuisine
- TV and games room
- Oudoor hot-tub
- Massages can be arranged
- Attractive gardens surround the property
- Enjoy a 30 minute walk to nearby waterfall
- Hike to Otavalo, about 1 hour away
- Explore the area on horseback or on a mountain bike
- Visit one of the local villages
- Go fishing or kayaking at Mojanda Lake
- Head out in search of condors riding the thermals
Children of all ages are welcome. Under 4 years stay for free, and those between 4 and 11 qualify for a reduced rate.
Free WiFi is available in the communal areas.
- Guest cottages are dotted throughout the gardens
- There are 2 houses which are designed for families
- All accommodation is en-suite
- Some rooms have fireplaces
- Beamed ceilings and polished floors create a homely feel